Monday, September 12, 2011

Wise words from the mouths of babes















“At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.’”
— Luke 10:21

I was helping in the nursery at church yesterday and was blessed by the words of a little one. I set up some fun puzzles and began inviting some kids to do them with me, so I invited Girl #1 (I’ve decided to protect her identity) to join me. She is 3.

Me: Hey there, do you want to work on these puzzles with me?
Girl #1: No, I can’t do these because I am too little.
Me: It’s okay; we will work on it together, as a team (so she smiled and came over and we began assembling the puzzle, then Girl #2 came over, she is 6).
Girl #2: I want to do this one by myself.
Girl #1: No, we are a team. No one can do this by themselves, it is too hard, but together we can do this.

At this point, I had to explain that it was okay if Girl #2 wanted to try the other puzzle by herself, but we could keep working as a team on ours. But I was struck by her words. She internalized what I said about working together and took it a few steps farther. She reminded me what the body of Christ is all about. It is about working together to accomplish God’s will and mission, and it is about encouraging one another and building each other up in love.

It is just like she said, on our own, each of us is too little to accomplish much, but together… we can do this. Much like the different pieces of a puzzle, each piece on it’s own doesn’t do much, but together its’ purpose is fulfilled. Anyway, It makes me smile. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment