Sunday, June 12, 2011

What is Discipleship?

Before Ryan and I go to France there are a handful of things we want and need to accomplish first including (but not limited to); developing partners, paying off debt, learning how to rightly handle the Bible, finding mentors, and in turn discipling others. I keep lingering on this idea of discipleship. It is kind of a buzz word in the church today, partly because it means so much and partly because most people don't really know what it means. We know according to scripture that our main call as believers is to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:18–20). But what is a disciple really and what does it mean to disciple someone?

Wikipedia says a disciple is "a learner." In Christianity, the disciples were the students of Jesus during his ministry. They wanted to be as much like Jesus as they could be. Discipleshiptools.org says: A Disciple is one who grows in Christ and in so doing models and teaches Christians the precepts of the Bible, prayer, doctrine, relationship, Christian living, service, and worship.

So if I am understanding this right it seems that the first command should also fulfill the second. As I strive to become more like Christ, I will model what it means "to be like Christ" to others, and intentionally with some (whom I disciple) as I attempt to help them become more like Christ too.

Hmm... I actually feel better about discipling someone now (that sounds rather self-serving doesn't it). I struggle sometimes because I want a detailed step by step guide of exactly what to do, but God and the Bible are better than that (I think I will read a book about Discipleship though, just in case). I will trust too that God will even use my rough spots to show what not to do, and I'm sure I will learn even more than those I disciple sometimes.

So here it goes... let the experiment begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment